Sunday, October 16, 2011

Glittering Gold Accent Nails

Tribal Teals avon-nailwear-pro-nail-polish in Nocturnal
Nails, nails, nails.  The search for the perfect manicure for the bride and her bridesmaids is on!  French manicure? Pale pink? Mocha? Hot pinks or wild blues? The choice is endless and really depends on the bride's personality.  But if you want a classy manicure you can do yourself (yeah! save that money for the honeymoon!) try this combination of Avon Nail Wear Pro polish and glitter.  OK, I know most companies make polish that comes complete with glitter in it, but how often will you use it? Why not buy multiple shades of plain polish instead and apply your own glitter? You'll use the plain polish long after those special occasions or holidays and save $$$.  Yes, you could buy OPI, Essie or NARS polishes but why waste the money? Avon Nail Wear Pro provides great coverage and a wide range of colors to choose from.  I purchased my glitter from Michael's (because I had a coupon) but feel free to pick some up at your local Dollar Store.

OK, I know...glitter right? My first thought is 'shades of middle school!'  But once I saw this, I fell in love with the simplicity of it.  And you know me, the EASY DIYness of it. 

If you've been reading my blog you know to test how easy it is to execute a DIY project, I get my husband to try his hand at it.  Somehow I couldn't quite bring myself to have him polish his nails, especially with the added glitter.  I have a feeling that might just be a deal breaker and he'd never help me out again with my testing.  So I sucked in my local Avon lady, Carly, into testing it at an at home Avon party.  (photo courtesy of Avon)

All the guests tried it out to see just how hard it is to REALLY do it yourself.  The guests paired off in groups of two with one guest acting as the manicurist, one the 'bride.'  Avon home parties may never be the same!  The floor looked like we were a bunch of preschoolers making Christmas projects (we spilled JUST A LITTLE glitter! If you're going to do this the day of your wedding I strongly suggest doing your manicures in a room your gowns won't be in (unless you want your gowns to be covered with glitter as you walk down the aisle.) I'd also suggest trying it out ahead of time to get it 'just right.' 

Inspiration and bottom two photos from Wedding Paper Divas

We used Avon Nail Wear Pro which lasts up to 10 days, perfect for wedding wear and to wear through your honeymoon.  We used glitter in metallic gold, copper, bronze and silver with a variety of shades of polish.  A good time was had by all. 


We put the glitter on just the ring finger of each hand...just enough glitz without going over the top.  You'll love how the glittery nail shows off you engagement ring and that new band of gold your groom just added to your ring finger.  Obviously NOT just your mother's AVON anymore! 

How to:

1. Paint all your nails (except your ring fingers) in your chosen hue. We chose Avon's Nail Wear Pro products because of their long lasting finish.  I used a soft brown from Avon, but you can choose any color you like.  (I made my choice because it was on sale, so don't feel locked into the color choice)

2. Paint your ring fingers on both hands in a soft and coordinating color of polish.  Do this one step at a time because you need to apply the glitter while the polish is still wet.

3. Now it's time for glitter.  Tap glitter just onto your wet nail on your ring finger.  Avoid getting any glitter near your other nails.  Do one ring finger at a time.  Tap off any excess glitter.

4.  After the glitter sets, apply a thick coat of Avon NAIL EXPERTS UV Gloss Guard Top Coat to keep the glitter in place.








No comments: